Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Quarter 2, Post 8: Facts are the enemy of the truth

For my blog post today I have decided to talk about a quote that I have come across while reading the book The Lace Reader, by Brunonia Barry. I like this quote a lot and I also think it fits perfectly with what is going on in the book right now.

“ ‘Facts are the enemy of the truth,’  Eva quoted Don Quixote." (page 167)

As soon as I read this line, I immediately thought how stupid it sounded to say that facts are basically not true, because they are. However, as I continued to think about it, I realized that this is not what the line is saying at all. Rather, it is saying that facts sometimes get in the way of the truth or keep one from really seeing the truth. This is very true, because I can think of many times that people just stuck with what they see instead of what they feel to make a decision. This is, however, a very naive way to look at something because it is often the things that are hidden that matter the most. For example, right now in he book Rafferty is looking at all the facts of Emma’s case and trying to connect these facts to Angela. The problem is, there is nothing that is connecting them in any way that he can see in the files. The problem is, their relationship might not be something so concrete, but have to do with the lace readings, which is certainly not factual, but more fantasy. Even though they are not reliable, I fully believe that the lace reading will be the key to finding Angela, and that fact is holding Rafferty back from thinking of this himself. I am hoping that soon he will stop holding back and search deeper in to the case to discover this.

No comments: