Sunday, January 4, 2009

Quarter 2, Post 9: Towner's Memory

I am really beginning to enjoy the book The Lace Reader more and more! I feel like all of my unanswered questions are about to be resolved. There is so much going on right now that it is getting a little confusing, but I know that everything will all come together soon. Recently, Towner has gone on another date with Rafferty. It started all right, but just as their dates always go, as the night progressed things started to go wrong.  Rafferty started seeing spots when they exited the harbor on the boat and had to have Towner take over. Rafferty sat down and tried to relax, but his vision worsened until he couldn’t see at all. Not wanting to ruin the night, he continued to ask Towner questions to make it seem as if he were okay. When asking her about her boating days that Eva had told him so much about, she responded that she had never owned a boat…

“It stopped him. ‘Gaps’ was the way Eva had put it. Towner had gaps in her memory.” (page 187)

After reading this quote, I realized how oblivious Towner is to her memory loss. I used to feel bad for her when she wouldn’t remember something important, or remember some of her good memories. Now, however, I realize that she is not missing out on anything at all, because she doesn’t know she is missing out. In other words, what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her.

Although it hasn’t come up yet, I am wondering if a missing piece to the puzzle of Angela’s disappearance is hidden in the back of Towner’s brain, inaccessible to her. If this is true, will Towner miraculously remember everything she has forgotten and save Angela? Will this missing piece of information cause Angela’s death? I cant wait to find out! 

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Katie-
You book sounds so good! I am glad you are loving it and I am glad that Towner went on another date. I agree with your point that she really isn't missing out on that much because of her memory loss but to us it seems like it because we would never want to loose good memories. Keep reading and enjoying your book!