Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Quarter 2, Post 5: Towner and Rafferty

I am continuing to read The Lace Reader, by Brunonia Barry. The plot has advanced more in the past few pages than it has in the entire first part of the novel, so I thought for my blog post today I would break down everything that is happening in section two (up to page 139).

Towner is still in Salem, but plans to leave shortly until a realtor approaches her and asks her if she is planning on selling Eva’s house. Towner hadn’t really considered it until then, but decides that selling the house might be what’s best for everyone, even though she personally doesn’t want to. She immediately goes home and starts to clear Eva’s things out. This so when she realizes just how much stuff Eva kept. There were boxes and boxes of this that looked like trash to Towner, but she knew that if it was packed it must have been important to Eva, so she treated it all with care. Towner even stumbled upon some pictures of herself when she was young. Seeing herself so happy and innocent just makes her resent the accident even more, and all she can think about is Lyndley, her late sister. It is hard for her to keep remembering the past, especially since she can't “find” all of her memories because of the accident. This frustrates her so she decides to take a walk, where she runs into Rafferty again. They begin talking, and suddenly he invites her to dinner. She agrees and they leave that night on the boat to eat on a “floating restaurant”. The date is awkward and they both are feeling weird being with each other. However, what makes it even weirder for Towner is that she can feel people staring at her and hear them think about her. Suddenly, a fight breaks out and Rafferty goes to help break it up. Towner is mortified when she realizes that the fight is about her. The couple immediately leaves the restaurant. Towner thinks the date could not have gone worse, but to her surprise Rafferty asks her to do it again sometime.

I do not know what Towner and Rafferty’s relationship is going to turn into, but I do know that it has changed for good. I am also interested to see what Towner decided to do about Eva’s house. I can imagine that the decision will be a very hard one to make, and I can't wait to see what happens!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Katie~ I am so glad you still like the book and it is starting to pick up a little but more. From reading your blog, I am wondering the same things and excited to see what Towner will do about Eva's house. I also kind of wonder what the people at the restaurant were fighting about over her. I hope you continue to like the book as more continues to happen. I am excited to see your next post to find out how things are going! Happy reading!